Sunday, July 10, 2005

Goodnight Moon

Every poker player has dreams about getting aces against kings, and nightmares about the reverse. The biggest pot I won on day one was that dream, and today less than an hour into play the nightmare happened. I had kings in the big blind after a middle position player raised and the small blind reraised. I stuck it all in for about 36k and the original raiser said "I'm all in" so fast I was certain he had aces. The small blind then thought for five minutes while ESPN cameras circled the scene. Norman Chad even wandered by. Finally the small blind folded AK (a decent player would have folded within the first ten seconds) and the other guy turned over the expected AA. No help and I was down to 5k.

Three hands later I moved all in with the Ace-Ten of clubs and unbelievably the big blind called 4000 more with Queen-Jack offsuit. The flop came AJx, the turn was a queen, the river a queen, and that was the end of my first World Series of Poker.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spencetron said...

Tom, reading your blog was very fun and I hope that you continue to blog even after this poker nightmare. Also make sure you do your best to get your writing read by someone who can sign you to a journal deal. Good luck, and I know you won't let this stop you from living the dream of 1830 Lincoln.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

you fought the good fight tom. sure it's cliched but the truth is there's always next year.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home