Friday, July 01, 2005

Hitting Bottom (I Hope)

Yesterday I lost another 4k playing online. The worst beat came when I had 55 against AK on a KT5 flop. All the money went in on the K turn and the river was another T giving her a pot of more than 3k. Other than that there were a lot of failed bluffs, a few bad calls, and a lot of missed flops.

Jonas arrived soon after and we were soon on our way to the Gambler's Bookshop, but it was closed at 7 PM on a Thursday and we wound up wasting more than 30 bucks on the cabride. Jonas and I then carried four bags of dirty clothes five blocks to the laundromat in 100+ degree weather. I then lost $100 playing blackjack at the Palms. Some of the beats were pretty ridiculous, including one where I had bet four times what I had been betting the whole time, then made the obvious double-down with a 6-4 against the dealer's 5, caught a ten, and then watched the dealer turn over a face card followed by the miracle 6.

Leo reached Vegas after driving from San Francisco and the three of us went over to the Wynn. Jonas played $4-$8 limit while Leo and I managed to get seats at the same table of $1-$2 no limit. Pretty much everyone was playing really tight so I took it upon myself to make up for the others and play every hand. I saw about 75% of flops and won plenty of pots to book a $250 profit which was little consolation to the 12k lost online in 48 hours.

Nick and a few of his friends were driving from Claremont to Boulder and they took a brief pit stop in Vegas. The night ended with Jonas, Leo, and I downing $1.80 Graveyard Specials (a meal not a cocktail) at the Gold Coast, a tradition which will surely be repeated several times over the next few nights.

Today was the 3k NL. I got up to 3800 in no time but then lost a few pots to fall back to 3k. I then got involved in a weird hand with 54 suited in which I lost 2k. Shortly after I had to take a stand with AK and lost to QQ.

Today I find myself in the darkest hole I have been in during the last year as far as poker is concerned. Two months ago I was 100% sure I would be extremely successful as a professional poker player, but today that confidence is wavering.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

hang in there tiger. i've made a lot of insane claims to people about what a good poker player you and i don't intend to look like an idiot. i'm sure i don't have to tell you the beats will even out in the long run, it's just of little consolation to you at this point. soon this will be the awesome backstory to your huge run at the main event.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Xakyrie said...

Dear Tom,

The next time you see Richard Belsky, please punch him in his shit-eating grin. Seriously.

Thanks much,
Zachary

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home