Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A Deep Run

Today I played in the 1.5k NLHE at the WSOP. I took a shower and ate, two things I was stupid not to do before the first six tournaments I played.

All day long I found myself at soft tables filled with mediocre players, except for a brief Marcel Luske appearance directly to my left and an hour with my ?friend? Ross Boatman. The second hand I picked up aces and won a decent pot. After that I didn't see a pair bigger than nines for seven hours but I was able to constantly accumulate chips through relentless aggression and pot stealing. After seven hours of battle I finally looked down at pocket queens but actually had to fold when a tight table suddenly went bananas before the action got to me. I was actually very lucky on this hand because if it had gone differently I would have found myself up against aces or kings and likely lost a huge pot.

I went out with 230 left paying 200 places. I had no interest in stalling around trying to eke my way to a 2k payday. I played to win and that was evident in the final hand when I played a marginal hand very aggressively. On the fateful hand I made a great read followed by a slight technical mistake. My opponent hit his hand and that was that.

This was by far the best I have played at the WSOP (probably ever, in fact) and my confidence continues to grow. I'm playing again on Friday and likely again on Saturday so I will soon have more opportunities to break through.

Crewhater note - a few days ago I played the Palms tourney with the Legendary Tom McEvoy directly on my left. Not so shockingly he made two horrible plays to blow his stack. On the first one I limped in first position with sixes and he limped behind me with threes. A player two behind us went all in for a bunch more and I wisely folded. WORLD CHAMPION OF POKER Tom McEvoy then called with his pathetic pocket threes only to find the other player with aces. I desperately wanted to remind him "you can't play small pairs from early position because they can't stand any heat" (some of the shitty advice he dispenses in his neverending series of books) but kept my mouth shut.

Whoever wins the NBA Championship tomorrow deserves it. The two best teams in one game for everything - I can't wait.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

good to see you making a run tom. i can feel a big finish coming soon. i'd be pretty surprised to see detroit win back to back games in san antonio but this is the same guy who thought they couldn't come back against the heat down 2-3 and that the red sox would never be able to come back down 0-3 because it'd never happened before (actually the red sox call was probably good common sense, the odds of that happening couldn't have been more than 1 in 100 even after it was 1-3). you're right though it should be a good game.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Spencetron said...

The Spurs win tonight was very anticlimactic, but expected. Winning two in a row on the road was a task too tall even for the best player in the league Rashweed Wallace. Tom, you talked about the look in the eye, man coming into the fourth quarter after playing in foul trouble Sheed just wanted to take over the game, it's just too bad that your Boulder buffoon Billups couldn't handle giving the ball up to the hottest player on the floor. Instead he gets blocked by the dirtiest player in the league who the night before had ripped Rip's mask off. Oh well, so much for the better team winning.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home